New Book - ADempiere 3.6 Cookbook

A proper layout of brochures, presale materials so you feel ADempiere can sell to business owners and not just techies.
Forum rules
Materials are strictly selected by the admins. This is a restricted area. No outside advertising allowed. Contact the admins to submit your materials. Submission does not mean publication.

New Book - ADempiere 3.6 Cookbook

Postby red1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 pm

This is just out, published by Packt, UK. It is quite brilliant, with topics on integration to many apps such as Mondrian, Email, PayPal, Web Services, VirtueMart, ActiveMQ, JasperReports and Equifax. Please remember that purchase of this book from Packt UK, will give some percentage of the sales back to the community, now represented by ADempiere Deutschland. e.V, in Berlin, Germany.

I have seen through a bit of the book's 332 pages and i must say that it is a true gem due to the many powerful extensions tutorials that allows ADempiere to talk to so many popular and important apps out there. The earlier Part I of the book revisits all the best practices of ADempiere such as how to set it up, meddle with its insides, both Java and Ajax clients, up to extending its Application Dictionary (inherited from Compiere, with thanks). It does not touch on any ERP subject matter functionals though. It is thus really a technical cookbook from the beginning.

In the Part II, it goes deeper and even though it refers to our Web Services it is laid out in more concise format of delivery which i find it more reference-friendly than our sometimes clumsy Wiki. It is easier with its clear reference table such as where to find what SQL to get what AD object to feed which Web Service item.

It also take our JasperReports integration but with more ideas in this book than ours, laying out clearly two case examples - one via AD Report View and one via a direct call from Report & Process.

The Mondrian integration is quite too low-level for my liking. I mean I would prefer the use of Pentaho or Palo or Talend instead of the primal Mondrian, but in that respect it is a good proof of concept, in that if you do master this part for Business Intelligence interfacing, you should be able to tackle any higher ground.

The topic on VirtueMart opens up ways to integrate to a whole family of e-Commerce layers out there including Magento and osCommerce. This topic includes teaching about setting up the needed ActiveMQ and Joomla layers, going very technical with clearly written snippets to make it all work. (I haven't tried it personally but now am very encouraged to do so). The author of the book, Ajit Kumar (stranger to me) sounded very confident (hmm.. must really try it out to really know).

In short this is meant for the true developer who has to go under the hood in many parts of ADempiere and make it work for any challenge out there. At least it is a very good start in just 300 over pages. Again, it is not an ERP subject-matter manual nor help a lay user how to use ADempiere. For that you can buy the other Packt UK book written by Bayu Cahaya.
red1
Site Admin

Re: New Book - ADempiere 3.6 Cookbook

Postby kittiu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 am

This is great, thanks for sharing with us.I cant wait to read it. :)
kittiu

Postby red1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04 pm

I read some more and the last part covers Email integration using Mozilla Thunderbird. You can easily have all the BPartners categories as buttons or widgets on your email app or client. You just click on any category such as Customers, Vendors or Sales Reps to send them an email blast. Now that is a killer job.
red1
Site Admin

Postby iveen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 am

purchased already the three books on ADempiere, red1's, bahu caya's and the cookbook !!!
iveen

Postby red1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 pm

I have finally tried out the ActiveMQ part as well as the Web Services part but settled for the more interesting message queuing which is both asynchronous and exciting to learn. Ajit Kumar's examples using Stomp are greatly savoured and i have to give this book credit for using the simple snips to prove its use and survive a short and sweet learning curve. I have documented the twists and Aha moments here including a movie to showcase the big picture of the integration between OpenBravo POS and ADempiere 361 viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1356
red1
Site Admin

Postby moneil222 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 am

I've also purchased this book and I am very happy with the contents and structure. This book works well for newbies like me, and I think it will be very helpful for intermediate to advanced users too.
moneil222

Return to Marketing ADempiere